Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pot Pie

Yesterday was an awfully ugly day. As I say that, I cringe. The weather just couldn't make up it's mind; cold, warm, rainy, dry, spitting, blistery...on and on.....

So, yesterday was the perfect day for some comfort food. Chicken pot pie is warm, rich, full and satisfying. Yesterday was the perfect day to cook this tantalizing concoction. All from scratch, I might add. Honestly, I was proud of that pot pie.

After consuming the masterpiece with a few friends, Zach and I headed to the West Side Sports Complex for the West Side sectional football game. Being back there was difficult. Too many faces were new and few were familiar to me. Sitting in the parent section, we froze, and talked about what our life will be like when we have kids and when they are in high school. Truth be told, I am pretty excited for that. Obviously that is many, many moons into the future.

Until then.... I will bake chicken pot pie and dream of those days.


Recipe:

Chicken Pot Pie

2 Pie Crusts (I suggest the pie crust recipe out of the America's Test Kitchen Cookbook.)
2 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
2 Chicken breasts - boiled, shredded
1 - 16oz bags frozen mixed vegetables
1 Cup Milk
1 Egg - beaten

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Mix soup and milk until blended. Mix in frozen vegetables and chicken (you may add a small amount of corn starch to thicken the mixture if it appears to be thin). Place one pie crust on the bottom of pie pan. Pour soup mixture into pie crust. Place second crust on top, remove the excess around the edge of the pan and press with the bottom of a fork to seal together. Cut four one inch slits into the top crust and place on preheated baking sheet in the oven. Lower oven temp to 425 and bake 20 minutes. Brush beaten egg onto the top of the pie crust, return pie to oven and lower temp to 375. Bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool ten minutes before cutting.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. I am sitting here freezing in my own house and chicken pot pie sounds wonderful. Yum. I love comfort food. :-)

    ReplyDelete